Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Lock Your Doors

This is a fairly elementary lesson. Lock your damn doors: your house doors, your bathroom door and most certainly your car doors.

Last night, I bragged that I never lock my car doors. My drivers' side door handle is woefully broken, therefore leaving me to lean in and unlock it from the back drivers' side door. If I lock all of the doors I have to go around to the passenger door, unlock it and lean across the car. My answer: just leave all of the damn doors unlocked. What can I say? I'm lazy.

Unfortunately today I followed normal protocol. Parked in an alley near my office, left the car doors unlocked, and headed into work. Luckily, I remembered my camera was on my front seat, and returned to my car to get it.

Later in the afternoon, a coworker and I left to run some errands. As he was hopping in, he noticed my knee and elbow pads on the ground. Further inspection uncovered my glove compartment and ashtray open. However - the dollar I dropped on the car seat, my skates, the change in my counsole -- all still there.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice it until just now, but they stole my fucking gym bag (yes, the profanity is necessary at this point). In there was - a fairly new dress, yoga pants, newish Mastodon t-shirt, makeup AND my knee brace. I can do without all of them, except the knee brace.

So yeah - learn my lesson, and lock your doors. Some bum is walking around in women's yoga pants, a knee brace and a pretty damn cool Mastodon t-shirt. My Friday trip to physical therapy is going to be more expensive than usual.

Fuck.

2 comments:

occam said...

several months ago, i got up one monday morning at 4am to make the drive to lafayette for work. my car was nowhere to be found. the strength of my disbelief was staggering. i kept thinking i'd just forgotten where i'd parked it. but no, it had indeed been shanghai'd. i had always said that "club" steering wheel locks were pointless. had my car been armed with one, it might not have been stolen. i did get it back a few weeks ago, it had been abandoned in laplace. a bit bruised, but what really hurt was the missing suitcase and toolbox that had been in the trunk. i have a nifty steering wheel lock now. my sympathies, and here's to learning the hard way.

will said...

Laaaaaaaaame